Discover a different Prom this Winter
Thursday 19 June, 2014
If you’re looking for something fun and educational to do during the July school holidays, make sure you check out Parks Victoria’s Discovery Program at Wilsons Promontory National Park.
Parks Victoria Team Leader, Lynden Costin said the program was a great way to get in touch with nature over the school holidays.
"It’s fantastic to see kids and adults getting out of the lounge room and experiencing the fun and wonder of Victoria’s parks. Even in these cooler winter months, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors."
- Junior Ranger activities for primary school age children age 6-12 and their parents ($7 per child, accompanying adults attend for free)
- Examining the minibeasts that live in Tidal River through a microscope.
- Celebrating NAIDOC Week and see how traditional hunting tools are used. You can also have a go at boomerang throwing.
- Become a bush detective. Learn how to identify some animals from the evidence they leave behind.
- Discover some of the special native plants at the Prom and make your own sun dyed bag to take home.
- Free activities for pre-school age children age 3-5 years.
- What is the best home for a wombat? How did the Flame Robin get his red chest? Find out the answers and enjoy the games and art activities that follow.
- Free activities for families and children age 5+ helping rangers in the park
- Join park rangers to remove sea spurge weeds invading the beach nesting sites of endangered Hooded Plovers.
- Make a giant whale tail out of beach rubbish and learn about the impact of rubbish on our precious marine environment.
Bookings are essential and can be made at the Tidal River Visitor Centre or call 1800 350 552.
Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to all activities.
Information on the sessions is available here.
22 Sep 2014 12:00am - 3 Oct 2014 12:00am
Parks Victoria’s Discovery program is designed to encourage kids and adults to explore Victoria’s parks with a ranger. Whether it’s discovering mini beasts through a microscope, learning about creatures’ tracks and traces and their habitats, or discovering the fascinating life beneath the sea during a rock pool ramble, kids will…
22 Sep 2014 12:00am - 5 Oct 2014 12:00am
Drop in and pick up your explorer pack from the Mansion with activity sheets, magnifying glass and pencil. Complete the activities and return the pack to collect some Junior Ranger goodies. Activities are available every day of the school holidays.
22 Sep 2014 8:00am - 25 Sep 2014 5:00pm
Make a big difference at Little Desert! Learn about the endangered Mallefowl recovery program, support wildlife monitoring and encounter a range of native wildlife species held at the Little Desert Sanctuary including Suger Gliders, Bruh-tailed Bettongs and Bush-stone Curlews.
22 Sep 2014 8:30am - 25 Sep 2014 5:30pm
We will take you behind the scenes on this exclusive, small group adventure as you work alongside a Parks Victoria Ranger to 'track and protect' the elusive Brush-tailed Phascogales, which are on Victoria's threatened species list. You will sample some of the region's best wines, see ancient Aboriginal rock art…