Discover a different Prom this Winter
Thursday 19 June, 2014
If you’re looking for something fun and educational to do during the July school holidays, make sure you check out Parks Victoria’s Discovery Program at Wilsons Promontory National Park.
Parks Victoria Team Leader, Lynden Costin said the program was a great way to get in touch with nature over the school holidays.
"It’s fantastic to see kids and adults getting out of the lounge room and experiencing the fun and wonder of Victoria’s parks. Even in these cooler winter months, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors."
- Junior Ranger activities for primary school age children age 6-12 and their parents ($7 per child, accompanying adults attend for free)
- Examining the minibeasts that live in Tidal River through a microscope.
- Celebrating NAIDOC Week and see how traditional hunting tools are used. You can also have a go at boomerang throwing.
- Become a bush detective. Learn how to identify some animals from the evidence they leave behind.
- Discover some of the special native plants at the Prom and make your own sun dyed bag to take home.
- Free activities for pre-school age children age 3-5 years.
- What is the best home for a wombat? How did the Flame Robin get his red chest? Find out the answers and enjoy the games and art activities that follow.
- Free activities for families and children age 5+ helping rangers in the park
- Join park rangers to remove sea spurge weeds invading the beach nesting sites of endangered Hooded Plovers.
- Make a giant whale tail out of beach rubbish and learn about the impact of rubbish on our precious marine environment.
Bookings are essential and can be made at the Tidal River Visitor Centre or call 1800 350 552.
Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to all activities.
Information on the sessions is available here.
21 Nov 2014 - 23 Nov 2014
Sport event offering 20 Sports Open to all... Companies, clubs, govt departments Co-workers, family and friends Established to encourage companies to support their employees' pursuit of a healthier more a healthier more active lifestyle
21 Nov 2014 7:00am-4:30pm
Help save the Eastern Barred Bandicoot from extinction through a number of exciting hands-on conservation activities. You will have the opportunity to enjoy a breathtaking 360 degree view of Melbourne and its surrounds at Gellibrand Hill, and meet some of Australia’s finest retired racehorses at Living Legends.
21 Nov 2014 7:00pm-8:30pm
Fun, low key Mountain Bike racing suitable for beginner racers and juniors (13yrs and over)
22 Nov 2014 8:00am-9:00am
parkrun is free, weekly, 5km timed run that is open to everyone - walkers, runners, families and dogs are all welcome! Westerfolds parkrun occurs every Saturday morning. We're based near the main carpark off the Fitzsimons Lane entrance, and the course is run entirely on sealed paths within the park.