National park and state forest closures due to fire
Friday 15 March, 2013
Please note: the information on this page is no longer being updated. Go to individual park pages for latest closure information.
The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) and Parks Victoria have closed a number of national parks and state forests in Victoria due to fire but many areas will be open in time for the Labour Day long weekend.
Alpine park closures
The majority of the Alpine National Park and surrounds subject to recent closures has re-opened.
- Alpine National Park (following areas only):
- The area north of the Great Alpine Road around Mount Feathertop (includes all walking/vehicle tracks and visitor sites) - except for The Razorback, Bungalow Spur and Dimantina Spur walking tracks leading to and from Mt Feathertop which will be re-opened for the labour day long weekend;
- The area south of the Great Alpine Road around Mount Hotham, the Dargo High Plains, Dinner Plain and Mt Selwyn (includes all walking/vehicle tracks and visitor sites) - except for The Mt Hotham to Dinner Plain Multi-purpose Trail which will be re-opened for the labour day long weekend;
- The Buckland Spur Track, Top Crossing Track and Top Crossing Hut Camping Area in the vicinity of Lake William Hovell.
- Glenmaggie Bushland Reserves.
- Glenmaggie Nature Conservation Reserve.
- Glenmaggie Regional Park except for Blores Hill Mountain Bike Park which remains open.
- Seaton Education Area.
Keep in mind when planning your trip in the Alpine area:
- Access into the popular Wonnangatta Valley and Tea Tree Range area is not possible from Myrtelford, Bright and Porepunkah (access routes from the Buckland River and Buffalo River Valleys are closed) – all other access routes are open, which includes those from Mansfield, Licola and Dargo.
Other park closures
- Partial closure of Grampians National Park.
- Some remote areas in Little Desert National Park.
State Forests closed
- Aberfeldy State Forest;
- Glenfalloch State Forest;
- Thomson State Forest;
- Toombon State Forest.
- North east Victoria:
- Buckland State Forest;
- Ovens State Forest;
- Tea Tree Range State Forest.
For further information go to State Forest road closures at www.dse.vic.gov.au/forests
For road closures go to www.vicroads.vic.gov.au.
For latest fire information go to www.cfa.vic.gov.au
11 May 2013 10:00am - 8 Jun 2013 2:30pm
This course is an intensive introduction to Botanical Drawing and Painting. Develop observation skills and learn about tonal values, pencil and ink rendering, composition, colour, watercolour and gouache' Explore, develop and understand a variety of techniques to create your own detailed botanical studies. Time: Saturdays 11 May to 8 June, 5 x 4.5 hours = 20 …
22 May 2013 5:15pm-6:15pm
The bat count is held once a month at dusk when the whole colony of 10,000 -20,000 bats fly out to feed around Melbourne’s suburbs. New counters are very welcome and much appreciated. Experience is not necessary as training is provided on the night. Wear comfortable shoes for walking, dress …
26 May 2013 9:00am-11:00am
Join the Friends of Glen Nayook for a working bee. Morning tea provided.
26 May 2013 10:00am - 23 Jun 2013 2:30pm
This course is an Advanced course for Botanical Drawing and Painting. Develop observation skills and learn about tonal values, pencil and ink rendering, composition, colour, watercolour and gouache' Explore, develop and understand a variety of techniques to create your own detailed botanical studies. Time: Sundays 26 May - 23 June, 5 x 4.5 hours = 20 …