Planned burn at Wilsons Promontory National Park
Friday 10 November, 2017
Visitors heading to Tidal River this Sunday 12 November may experience traffic delays due to a small planned burn in Wilsons Promontory National Park.
The planned burn will take place in the northern part of the park and will involve the partial closure of Wilsons Promontory Road. Access to Five Mile Road may also be affected, and walks in the northern section of the park will be closed on Sunday, for example Millers Landing, Vereker Outlook, Cotters Lake and 5 Mile Beach.
Ignition of the burn is planned to occur at 11am, if visitors need to exit or enter the park on Sunday 12th November, it is recommended they do so before 11am to avoid traffic delays. After this time, there may be delays of up to two hours entering or exiting the park.
Visitors with camping and accommodation bookings will still be able to enjoy their stay and the walks on offer in the southern area of the park. Day visitors will still be allowed to enter and exit the park when fire operations permit.
Visitors in the area should expect to see and smell smoke. We are asking our visitors and guests to remain patient while the planned burn operations are underway.
Parks Victoria rangers and Forest Fire Management Victoria staff will be on site to manage the burn and to assist visitors.
The planned burn is due to be ignited on Sunday 12 November if weather conditions are suitable. If the weather is unsuitable, the burn will be postponed to a later date.
Important sources of information:
- Parks Victoria park closures and changes to conditions: www.parks.vic.gov.au
- Forest Fire Management Victoria planned burns: https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/bushfire-fuel-and-risk-management/planned-burns
- VicEmergency website for real-time updates on emergency incidents: www.emergency.vic.gov.au
- The VicEmergency smartphone app in Apple app store or Google Play
- The VicEmergency hotline 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency Facebook and Twitter: @vicemergency
- Emergency broadcasters including ABC local radio, commercial and designated community radio stations and Sky news
- Bureau of Meteorology weather forecasts: www.bom.gov.au/vic/
- Road closures: www.vicroads.vic.gov.au
Media enquiriesGareth Rees
0417 067 706
Parks Victoria media centre