Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival 2018
Tuesday 24 April, 2018
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
I, David Ritman, Acting District Manager, Port Phillip Western Port, Marine and Maritime Region, as delegate of Parks Victoria, the waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip Bay, declare under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that the masters of vessels participating in the Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival 2018 between 7.00 am to 4.00 pm (as specified in Table 1), are exempt from:
- Clause 2(a) of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988 – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
- Clause 2(c) of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988 – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
- Clause 4(a) of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988 – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge; and
- Clause 1.2.9(b) of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988 – the vessel prohibited zone bounded by two signposts displaying ‘No Vessels’ on the shore in line with Bay Street and Centreway, Mordialloc, extending seaward approximately 200 metres to two yellow special mark piles.
- The exemptions apply for the event exclusion zone only, and will be automatically suspended for any periods when non-participating swimmers or vessels enter within 50 metres of the exclusion zone.
- The masters of rescue vessels must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and gazetted waterway rules in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements, and are only exempt from the above items 1, 2 and 3 if undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- The exemptions apply from 7.00am to 4.00pm on the dates listed below in Table 1, provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.
Clause 5 of Exemption Notice 1 of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988, currently allows Life Saving Victoria vessels (excluding personal watercraft) an on-going exemption from the requirement to carry safety equipment and wear PFDs under certain conditions.
Table 1: 2018 Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival within Port Phillip Bay
29 April 2018
2018 LSV IRB Competition
20 May 2018
(Back up date)
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Ports of Port Phillip, hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that persons and vessels not associated with the Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival at Mordialloc Beach are prohibited from entering and remaining in the waters adjacent to the Life Saving Club, marked on land by flags approximately 200 metres apart and in the water by buoys extending 350 metres off shore.
The exclusion zone takes effect between 7:00 am to 4:00 pm on Sunday 29 April 2018 or alternatively, on the back-up date of Sunday 20 May 2018.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA