You are hereHome > About > Tenders and notices > Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - Challenge Melbourne and Australian Corporate Triathlon
Tenders and notices
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - Challenge Melbourne and Australian Corporate Triathlon
Tuesday 21 February, 2017
CHALLENGE MELBOURNE (St Kilda) AND AUSTRALIAN CORPORATE TRIATHLON (Elwood)
Parks Victoria as the waterway manager for the Local Ports of Port Phillip and Western Port hereby gives notice under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that persons and vessels associated with the respective SME 360 Triathlon Events as detailed below are exempt as follows:
1. Life Saving Victoria Vessels associated with the Australian Corporate Triathlon event at Elwood Beach on 5 March 2017 are exempt from Clause 1.1.9(e) of Schedule 1 of the Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules. This exemption applies between 4:00am – 11:30am on 5 March 2017 for the waters off Elwood Beach in vicinity of the Elwood Life Saving Club
2. Life Saving Victoria Vessels associated with the Challenge Melbourne event at St Kilda on 9 April 2017 are exempt from Clause 1.1.9(d) of Schedule 1 of the Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules. This exemption applies between 4:00am – 9:00am on the 9 April 2017 for the waters off the main St Kilda Beach extending North to the beach adjacent to Catani Gardens.
The following exemptions are provided to the masters of Life Saving Victoria rescue vessels only:
3. The following clauses of the Notice under Section 15(2) of the Marine Act 1988 (Vic) in respect to the requirement to operate a vessel at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within:
- 50 metres of a person in the water – Clause 2(a)
- 50 metres of another vessel – Clause 2(c)
- 200 metres of the waters’ edge as detailed in Clauses 1.1.7(c), 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 of the Vessel Operating and Zoning Rules for St Kilda and Elwood respectively.
- The masters of Life Saving Victoria vessels providing rescue services must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and gazetted waterway rules in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements, unless otherwise undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, and provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- Occupants of all powered vessels, including rescue vessels used in conjunction with the SME360 events must at all times wear a personal floatation device of the required type.
- Vessels used in conjunction with this event must be equipped with the type and number of safety equipment prescribed by the Marine Safety Regulations 2012.
The above exemptions apply for the times, dates and locations of SME 360 Triathlon Events as detailed on the Parks Victoria web site: parkweb.vic.gov.au provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Application for Boating Activity Exemptions and Exclusion Zones and associated documents, are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria
Dated 20 / 02 /2017
22 Mar 2017
Parks Victoria is inviting families and children of all ages to the annual Free Family Fun Day at the National Rhododendron Gardens on Tuesday 11th April 2017 from 10:00am to 3:00pm. The National Rhododendron Gardens is a unique ornamental garden featuring a rare collection of exotic plants surrounded by a…
14 Jan 2017 - 17 Apr 2017
The Herring Island Summer Arts Festival 2017 presents a series of 4 exhibitions, by: Association of Sculptors of Victoria Basketmakers of Victoria Contemporary Art Society of Victoria A4 Art Australia The Gallery on Herring Island will be open every weekend from 14 January through 17 April, including Australia Day holiday…
3 Apr 2017 - 16 Apr 2017
Parks Victoria’s Discovery program encourages children and adults to explore Victoria’s parks with a ranger. Programs include a range of interactive and fun activities. Highlights of the Term One School Holiday Program at the Prom include opportunities to: Meet a modern day lighthouse keeper to discover the history of Wilsons…
3 Apr 2017 3:00pm-4:00pm
This historical tour provides a unique opportunity to view a cave that is rarely open to the public and is part of the same cave system as the Royal and the Fairy show caves. Lit only by solar-powered pathway lights, you are provided with a helmet and headlight to view…