Tenders and notices
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - Mentone Open Water Swim Event
Thursday 23 November, 2017
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Ports of Port Phillip and Western Port under the Marine Safety Act 2010 (the Act) makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Act.
For the purpose of conducting the Mentone Open Water Swim event on 2 December 2017 between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm, associated masters of Life Saving Victoria vessels are exempt from:
- The waters prohibited to vessels off Mentone Beach – clause 1.2.9(a);
Masters of Life Saving Victoria vessels when undertaking rescue duties only:
- knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – clause 2(a);
- knots within 50 metres of another vessel – clause 2(c); and
- knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge – clause 1.2.7.
- The masters of Life Saving Victoria vessels providing rescue services must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and gazetted waterway rules in respect to speed and distances requirements, unless otherwise undertaking a rescue operation when they are exempt from the above items 2, 3 and 4 to retrieve persons in distress, and provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- Occupants of all Life Saving Victoria vessels involved in the Mentone Open Water Swim event must at all times wear a personal floatation device of the required type.
- Vessels used in conjunction with this event must be equipped with the type and number of safety equipment items prescribed by the Marine Safety Regulations 2012.
- The above exemptions apply for the times, date and location of the Mentone Open Water Swim as detailed on the Parks Victoria web site: parkweb.vic.gov.au provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Application for Boating Activity Exemptions and Exclusion Zones and associated documents, are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA