Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - SME360 2018 Triathlons
Friday 17 November, 2017
AUSTRALIAN CORPORATE TRIATHLON (Elwood), VICTORIAN TRIATHLON SERIES (Portarlington) and CHALLENGE MELBOURNE (St Kilda)
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Ports of Port Phillip and Western Port hereby gives notice under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) (the Act) that masters of Life Saving Victoria (LSV) vessels involved in the SME 360 Triathlon Events as detailed below are exempt as follows:
- LSV vessels associated with the Australian Corporate Triathlon event at Elwood Beach on 4 March 2018 between 4:00am – 11:30am are exempt from Clause 1.1.9(e) of the Notice under the Act for the waters prohibited to vessels off Elwood Beach in the vicinity of the Elwood Life Saving Club;
- LSV vessels associated with the Victorian Triathlon Series – Race 5 event at Portarlington Beach on 18 March 2018 between 4:00am – 11:30am are exempt from Clause 1.4.9(d) of the Notice for the waters prohibited to vessels west of the Portarlington Pier;
- LSV vessels associated with the Challenge Melbourne event at St Kilda on 22 April 2018 between 4:00am – 11:30am are exempt from Clause 1.1.9(d) of the Notice for the waters prohibited to vessels off St Kilda Beach extending North to the beach adjacent to Catani Gardens; and
Masters of LSV rescue vessels when undertaking rescue duties only:
- The following clauses of the Notice under the Act in respect to the requirement to operate a vessel at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within:
- 50 metres of a person in the water – Clause 2(a)
- 50 metres of another vessel – Clause 2(c)
- 200 metres of the waters’ edge as detailed in Clauses 1.1.7, 1.4.7 and 1.1.7(c) for Elwood, Portarlington and St Kilda respectively.
- The masters of LSV vessels providing rescue services must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 in respect to speed and distances requirements, unless undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- Vessels used in conjunction with this event must be equipped with the type and number of safety equipment prescribed by the Marine Safety Regulations 2012.
- Occupants of all LSV vessels involved in the SME360 Triathlon events must at all times wear a personal floatation device of the required type.
- The above exemptions apply for the times, dates and locations of SME 360 Triathlon Events as detailed on the Parks Victoria web site: parkweb.vic.gov.au provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Application for Boating Activity Exemptions and associated documents are adhered to.
By Order of Parks Victoria