You are hereHome > About > Tenders and notices > Declaration of boating activity exemption - Strathcona Rowing Regatta
Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Strathcona Rowing Regatta
Monday 16 October, 2017
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepard Bridge on Footscray Road under the Marine Safety Act 2010 (the Act) makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Act.
For the purpose of conducting the Strathcona Rowing Regatta by Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar on the waters of the Maribyrnong River between the roundabout at Holmes Road/The Boulevard and Raleigh Road/Maribyrnong Road Bridge, on Sunday 22 October 2017, competing and rescue vessels are exempt from:
- Clause 2(c) - exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
- Clause 3(a) - exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
- Clause 3(b) – exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
- Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 - 5 knot speed restriction on the Maribyrnong River
- The masters of competing vessels must ensure they comply with the gazetted waterway rules and the Act in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements unless competing in the event.
- The masters of vessels providing rescue services must ensure they comply with the gazetted waterway rules and the Act in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements, unless otherwise undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
This event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of Exemption Notice 1 of the Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for occupants of rowing vessels to carry or wear a personal flotation device.
The exemptions apply from 6.30 am to 3.30 pm on Sunday 22 October 2017, provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.
By Order of Parks Victoria
Dated: 13 October 2017