You are hereHome > About > Tenders and notices > Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - The Australian Boat Race
Tenders and notices
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - The Australian Boat Race
Friday 20 October, 2017
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Yarra River between a diagonal line from the downstream edge of the VRA landing to the upstream edge of Federation Wharf through to just upstream of Powerhouse Landing under the Marine Safety Act 2010 (the Act) makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Act.
For the purpose of conducting the Australian Boat Race 2017 on 22 October 2017 between 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM, competing and rescue vessels are exempt from:
Competitors and rescue vessels during the event only:
1. 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – clause 2(c);
2. 5 knots within 50 meters of the waters’ edge – clause 3(a);
3. 5 knots within 50 meters fixed or floating structure – clause 3(b);
4. 5 knots on the Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne as detailed in clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 of the Notice under the Marine Safety Act 2010.
5. Vessels proposing to berth at the boathouses on the South Bank of the Yarra River and located immediately upstream of the Princes Bridge must approach the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern arch of the Princes Bridge as detailed in clause 3.4 (a) of Schedule 3 of the Notice under the Marine Safety Act 2010.
Rescue vessels when undertaking rescue activities only
6. 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – clause 2(a);
7. 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – clause 2(c);
8. 5 knots within 50 meters of the waters’ edge – clause 3(a);
9. 5 knots within 50 meters fixed or floating structure – clause 3(b);
10. Prohibition of personal water craft on the Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne as detailed in clause 3.3(c) of Schedule 3 of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988 (this exemption applies to Life Saving Victoria personal water craft only).
- The masters of competing vessels are exempt from items 1 – 5 in the above list when competing in the event.
- The masters of rescue vessels are exempt from items 8 – 12 in the above list only when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore. Any vessels that are designated for the rescue of persons, must be fitted with propeller guards, in order to minimise the risk of propeller strike injury to people in the water. Those not designated as rescue boats that are required assist with rescue in an emergency must turn engine off before bringing person on board.
- This event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for Rowing Vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 19 October 2017