You are hereHome > Find > Bays and rivers map > Port Phillip > Safety and regulations > Shipping channels and fairways
Shipping channels and fairways
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-url
Change of conditions
- No change of conditions apply
Large ships travel Port Phillip shipping channels during all hours of the day and night and sometimes travel outside designated fairways. A ship’s blind spot can extend for many hundreds of metres and it is very difficult for ships to change course quickly. It is the responsibility of recreational boat operators to:
- Keep clear of ships at all times.
- Never anchor in shipping channels or transit only zones.
- Never obstruct the path of ships or assume a ship can see you.
- Never tie up to navigation aids such as buoys or channel markers.
- Penalties apply for non-compliance.
Swing basins are areas where large commercial ships turn when entering and leaving berths. Be aware of ships at all times near swing basins and steer clear for your safety.