Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for St Kilda Pier and Breakwater
St Kilda Pier has been the centre of activity in St Kilda since the 1850s. Both the old shed at the pier entrance and the pavilion at the end are part of Victoria's heritage.
The history of St Kilda Pier's dates back to 1853 when the St Kilda Pier and Jetty Company constructed a wooden jetty to assist the early settlers in unloading timber, building materials and firewood to St Kilda. Not long after its construction the small jetty fell victim to a stormy Port Phillip Bay and was washed away. Various forms of piers were constructed at St Kilda in the 1800s as the demand for a larger pier grew with the ever increasing trade to and from the area. Since then the St Kilda Pier has grown to its present size, with the most recent concrete section constructed in the 1970s.
The historic St Kilda Pier Kiosk was built in 1904 and has undergone several renovations in its time. The kiosk was devastated by fire on September 11, 2003. Original drawings from 1904 were used as the basis for the kiosk’s reconstruction in 2005 and now a new era has begun for the kiosk. The St Kilda Kiosk has become a symbol of St Kilda, a place of seaside fun, relaxation and romance. In many ways it offers the same simple pleasures. So take your time to look around and reflect.