The high country boasts some of Australia’s finest ski touring areas, from well defined and groomed trails near the resorts to the winter wilderness of
You are hereHome > Find > Park locator map > Alpine National Park > Things to do > Cross country skiing
Cross country skiing
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-urla3411076-1e13-766c-e040-a8c0ac642022
Change of conditions
- Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) has issued a Community Notification (Advice) for avalanche risk in the Victorian Alps, including Alpine National Park, Baw Baw National Park, Mount Buffalo National Park and parts of Yarra Ranges National Park. For more information and updates please check: www.emergency.vic.gov.au For road closures in the area check the VicRoads website or call 13 11 70 at Cross country skiing
Thursday 17 August, 2017 |
The high country boasts some of Australia’s finest ski touring areas, from well defined and groomed trails near the resorts to the winter wilderness of the Dargo High Plains.
Popular localities include areas adjacent to the Falls Creek and Mt Hotham Alpine Resorts such as the Bogong High Plains, JB Plain and the Mt Loch area. Mount Stirling, and Mount Buller to a lesser extent, offers a range of cross country trails more suitable for inexperienced or family groups. Both these areas are outside the Alpine National Park and managed by the Mt Buller or Mt Stirling Resort Management Board.
Mt Bogong, The Razorback, Mt Feathertop, the Bluff, Cobbler Plateau, the Snowy and Howitt Plains and the Dargo High Plains are suitable only for more experienced skiers. In these areas a 4WD vehicle may be necessary for access and even then a relatively arduous walk may be encountered.
The publications below include more detailed information about ski trails and areas.
- Alpine National Park - Bright, Mt Beauty, Omeo, Dargo - Park note (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Alpine National Park - Heyfield, Licola, Dargo - Visitor guide (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Alpine National Park - Valleys and bluffs near Mansfield, Whitfield - Park note (PDF 2.2 MB)
- Alpine National Park - Walks around Bogong High Plains, Mountain Creek (PDF 571.2 KB)
- Alpine National Park - Walks around Feathertop, Hotham, Dinner Plain (PDF 694.9 KB)