The high country boasts some of Australia’s finest ski touring areas, from well defined and groomed trails near the resorts to the winter wilderness of
You are hereHome > Find > Park locator map > Alpine National Park > Things to do > Cross country skiing
Cross country skiing
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-urla3411076-1e13-766c-e040-a8c0ac642022
Change of conditions
- No change of conditions apply
The high country boasts some of Australia’s finest ski touring areas, from well defined and groomed trails near the resorts to the winter wilderness of the Dargo High Plains.
Popular localities include areas adjacent to the Falls Creek and Mt Hotham Alpine Resorts such as the Bogong High Plains, JB Plain and the Mt Loch area. Mount Stirling, and Mount Buller to a lesser extent, offers a range of cross country trails more suitable for inexperienced or family groups. Both these areas are outside the Alpine National Park and managed by the Mt Buller or Mt Stirling Resort Management Board.
Mt Bogong, The Razorback, Mt Feathertop, the Bluff, Cobbler Plateau, the Snowy and Howitt Plains and the Dargo High Plains are suitable only for more experienced skiers. In these areas a 4WD vehicle may be necessary for access and even then a relatively arduous walk may be encountered.
The publications below include more detailed information about ski trails and areas.
- Alpine National Park - Bright, Mt Beauty, Omeo, Dargo - Park note (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Alpine National Park - Heyfield, Licola, Dargo - Park note (PDF 1005.1 KB)
- Alpine National Park - Valleys and bluffs near Mansfield, Whitfield - Park note (PDF 2.2 MB)
- Alpine National Park - Walks around Bogong High Plains, Mountain Creek (PDF 571.2 KB)
- Alpine National Park - Walks around Feathertop, Hotham, Dinner Plain (PDF 694.9 KB)