Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Arthurs Seat State Park
With only one known indigenous archaeological site, very little is known of Aboriginal activity within the area now known as Arthurs Seat State Park. The peninsula does contain a number of indigenous sites of the Boon wurrung clan who are the traditional owners of these lands.
Arthurs Seat was named after a mountain near Edinburgh, Scotland by Lieutenant John Murray during the first exploration of Port Phillip in 1802. During this voyage Captain Matthew Flinders climbed the mountain recording the glorious view in his journal.
The first owner of Seawinds gardens was Mr Chapman, a gardener at a homestead near Dromana. Mr Chapman lived in a small shack near the north lookout and walked to work each day.
The garden was developed by Sir Thomas and Lady Travers in the 1940s who transported deciduous trees from their property in Parkville near Melbourne and also purchased the William Ricketts sculptures from Ricketts himself. The Travers planned to build a house there but this ambition was never achieved, and the area was declared a state park in 1975.