First Wannon Hiker Camp is positioned for walkers undertaking the remote overnight hike across the Major Mitchell Plateau. This camp is sheltered in a saddle
First Wannon Hiker Camp
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Grampians National Park
First Wannon Hiker Camp is positioned for walkers undertaking the remote overnight hike across the Major Mitchell Plateau. This camp is sheltered in a saddle at the head of First Wannon Creek and has minimal facilities.
Hiking access only by experienced walkers on the Major Mitchell Plateau.
Advance bookings and payment are required year round. Bookings are per person.
Sites are non-allocated, please set-up in free space available in the campground – total campground maximum of 19 people. Sites are unpowered.
Infrequently serviced non-flush toilet – bring your own toilet paper.
No drinking water supplied, please bring your own.
No fires permitted – portable gas stoves only.
Leave no trace - please carry out all rubbish.
Register your trip
A Trip Intention Form must be lodged prior to this hike with Brambuk - The National Park and Cultural Centre in Halls Gap. For further information contact Brambuk on (03) 5361 4005.
Be safe, be prepared - overnight hiking
- Plan your route according to your group’s ability and experience.
- Each member of the party should carry a topographic map and a compass, and know how to navigate with them.
- Pack clothing suitable for a wide range of weather conditions, including waterproof rain jacket and pants, warm layers and clothing to protect from the sun.
- Check all equipment prior to departure to ensure you are properly prepared.
- Water is usually not available in summer and autumn.
- Ensure all group members carry at least 3-4 litres per person per day.
- Walkers should have a sound knowledge of first aid in a wilderness environment.
- If you are using a GPS, ensure the datum corresponds to the map you are using.
- Please follow minimal impact hiking principles.