Locals say that after the valley was settled, shepherds yarded sheep on the flat at night keeping the dingoes at bay. This historic area, located
You are hereHome > Find > Park locator map > Howqua Hills Historic Area > Things to do > Sheepyard Flat
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-urla3411076-20d0-766c-e040-a8c0ac642022
Change of conditions
- No change of conditions apply
Locals say that after the valley was settled, shepherds yarded sheep on the flat at night keeping the dingoes at bay.
This historic area, located on the banks of the Howqua River, offers a great base for bush walking, fishing and relaxing. Camping with dogs is permitted but must be controlled on a leash at all times.
No booking is required. Camping is on a first in, first-served basis.
Non-flush toilets, on-site information and a picnic table are available. Dogs on leads are permitted. The Howqua Hills Historic Walk – an easy self-guided 1.5 hour return walk – leaves from this campground.
Please remember to bring your own firewood to this popular camping area. Fuel stoves are preferred for cooking.
There is no rubbish collection at this campground. Please take all rubbish with you.
- Light fires only in the fireplaces provided or use a portable camping stove instead
- Ensure fires are never left unattended and are completely out before you leave
- During summer and autumn Total Fire Bans are common – this means no open fires can be lit
- For information on Total Fire Bans call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667