Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Jawbone Flora and Fauna Reserve
The rifle range was established in 1877 and later named after Major C.E. Merrett who was a member of the Australian shooting team that won the Bisley Rifle Shooting trophy in 1912. Major Merrett was also a Councillor of the Victorian Rifle Association who gave 58 years of service to rifle shooting.
Originally used as a training ground for soldiers, it was later used by the police and civilian rifle clubs and school cadets. The range was the rifle-shooting venue for the 1956 Olympic Games and in 1990 was closed from the sale of the land for the Rifle Range housing estate.