Aluvial gold was discovered in the district by Captain John Mechosk, a German prospector, in 1853. Three years later, with the opening up of quartz
North British Mine
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Maldon Historic Area
Aluvial gold was discovered in the district by Captain John Mechosk, a German prospector, in 1853. Three years later, with the opening up of quartz reefs containing some of the richest gold in the world, Maldon was born. Its second mining boom came in the 1890s when Victoria was in depression and not much was being built. After a period of good returns for the mining companies which had taken over the costly business of extracting gold from the quartz, profitability declined and the last mine closed in 1926.
The ruins of the North British Mine contain one of the most intact collections of gold recovery equipment in Victoria. The remains of stamping batteries and kilns used for roasting the crushed quartz to extract the gold can be seen. This mine produced 242,000 ounces of gold before its closure in 1926.