Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Mornington Peninsula National Park
Aboriginal people gathered shellfish and other foods along this coastline for many thousands of years. Extensive shell middens are reminders of their presence. Most sites are in remote places and are protected by legislation.
An early ocean beach reserve was established at Sorrento last century and walking tracks and shelters were built. Cape Schanck Coastal Park was established in 1975. It later became Point Nepean National Park in 1988, when part of the historic Point Nepean area was transferred from the Commonwealth to the State. The park was renamed Mornington Peninsula National Park in 1995 and the historic section of Point Nepean later became Point Nepean National Park in 2005.
In 1926 the Green family purchased 900 hectares of land, and although they used it for farming, much of the natural bushland was retained. Extensive clearing occurred over the Mornington Peninsula, and the National Trust, recognising the conservation value of Greens Bush, listed the area as classified landscape in 1974.
In 1975 the State government purchased 500 hectares from the Green family with the intention of creating a park. Funds were limited, and in 1986 a public appeal was launched by the Victorian Conservation Trust to buy the remaining area. Over $1.3 million was raised and following purchase, Greens Bush is now part of Mornington Peninsula National Park.