Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Snowy River National Park
Aboriginal relics have been found at Jackson Crossing on the Snowy River and it is likely that people of the Kruatungulung group of the Kurnai Aborigines hunted in this area.
In the 1840s cattlemen and miners came south from New South Wales seeking new pastures and new wealth. The higher land was little used except for some summer grazing. Silver was mined in the area now designated as the Silver Mine walking track downstream from McKillop Bridge.
Proposals as a park began in 1935 but it was not until 1979 that protection for the area came.
Nearly half the natural flow of the Snowy River, which forms the backbone of this national park, is diverted westward by the Snowy Mountains Electricity Scheme.