You are here
Safety and regulations
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Snowy River National Park
- All the plants and animals in the park are protected. Leave the park as you find it.
- Bins are not provided. Please take your rubbish with you.
- Firearms are not permitted.
- Use a portable stove instead of lighting a fire.
- Campsites must be at least 20 metres from waterways.
- Toilet waste must be buried to a depth of at least 15cm and at least 100m away from waterways.
- Dispose of soap and detergent at least 50m from waterways.
- Vehicles and motorbikes may be used only on roads open to public vehicles. All vehicles must be registered and drivers licensed.
- Dogs and other pets are not permitted.
- Be self-sufficient with drinking water. Carry it in and/or know how to make untreated water safe for drinking. For more information read Water - make it safe to drink, contact Parks Victoria on 13 1963 or visit the Better Health Channel.
- The river usually has sufficient water to canoe during summer but during the winter and spring can rise and fall up to nine metres overnight. In these dangerous conditions it should only be attempted by properly equipped and experienced canoeists and rafters.
- The river is extremely dangerous in flood. Canoeists should register at Buchan or McKillop Bridge before each trip.
- This park has been assessed to have a high level of bushfire risk and will be closed for public safety on days of Code Red Fire Danger Rating.
- On days of Code Red Fire Danger parks and forests are not safe places to be. For your own safety, do not enter parks or forests and if you are already there you should leave the night before or early in the morning.
- For more information on the location of parks within Bureau of Meteorology forecast districts and closures on days of forecast Code Red Fire Danger Rating, click here.
- Fires (including barbecues) must not be lit on days of Total Fire Ban. For more information about Total Fire Bans visit the CFA website.