Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Warby-Ovens National Park
Little is known about Aboriginal use of the area, but it is believed to be significant due to the abundant food resources in the rivers and swamps of the surrounding valleys. Rock wells in the northwest of the park and surface artefact scatters at Black Springs are some of the few known remaining signs of Aboriginal occupation in the park. All aboriginal material and sites are protected.
Major Mitchell originally named the Warby Range "Futters Range" during his travels through the area in 1836. It was later renamed after Ben Warby, who took up the 9300ha Taminick Run in 1844.
Despite its modest height (approx 515 metres) the 400 million-year-old granite range offered good vantage points to Ned Kelly and fellow bushrangers in the late 1800s. From the summit of Mount Glenrowan (Morgan’s Lookout) they could easily see the comings and goings in the small town of Glenrowan.
In 1979, the Warby Range was declared a state park in recognition of its scenic value and the diversity of plant and animal species. The park was expanded to include the Killawarra and Boweya Forests in October 2002 and the Lower Ovens River in 2010.