Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Yarra Bend Park
The junction of the Merri Creek and Yarra River on the western side of the park was an important meeting site for the Wurrundjeri People, with good hunting and fishing.
When Europeans arrived, the natural beauty of the area was recognised and a location in the south of the park was considered as a site for the first Government House. This area and surrounds were reserved as parkland in 1877.
A weir was built at Dights Falls on a natural rock bar in the early 1840s to supply water to the Dight brothers' flour mill. The old bluestone water channel and ruins of the mill can be found on the north bank.
A number of institutions were established in the park throughout the nineteenth century, the most significant being the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum established at the end of Yarra Bend Road in 1848. The asylum was closed in 1925, the only remnants being mature Elms, Moreton Bay fig trees and a bluestone pillar.