All-terrain wheelchairs are now available in a number of Victoria's parks for visitors with significant physical disabilities to explore the great outdoors.
All-terrain wheelchairs easily disassemble and fit in the back of a station wagon, and with the help of operators, you can experience Victoria's parks like never before.
The chairs are suited for sandy and semi rough tracks, making it easier to access the many stunning trails in the Dandenong Ranges, Grampians and Lysterfield Park and beaches at Cape Conran, Wilsons Promontory and Point Nepean. Beach access wheelchairs, especially for children, are also available at Wilsons Promontory National Park and Cape Conran Coastal Park. An all-terrain wheelchair called a Hippocampe is available at Brimbank Park (Maribyrnong Valley Parklands), Coolart Historic Area and for the Mornington Peninsula region.
Chairs can be booked free of charge. Please supply your own bike helmet at the Dandenong Ranges, Grampians and Wilsons Promontory.
To book, or for more information contact:
- Brimbank Park Visitors Centre on 13 1963.
- Buchan Caves Reserve on (03) 8627 4700.
- Cape Conran Coastal Park Cabins and Camping on (03) 5154 8438.
- Coolart Historic Area Park Office on (03) 8427 2242.
- Grampians National Park, Caitlyn O'Reilly, on (03) 5361 4000.
- Dandenong Ranges National Park - Grants on Sherbrooke Restaurant at Grants Picnic Area, on (03) 9755 2888.
- Mornington Peninsula, OzChild Mornington office, on (03) 5975 7644.
- Point Nepean National Park Information Centre on (03) 8427 2099.
- Wilsons Promontory National Park Information Centre on (03) 5680 9555.
All-terrain chairs (TrailRiders) can also be booked and borrowed for free at selected local Shires and Visitor Information Centres.
Loddon Visitor Information Centre, 24 Wilson Street, Wedderburn
Phone:(03) 5494 3489 Email: email@example.com
Mt Beauty Visitor Information Centre
31 Bogong High Plains Road, Mt Beauty
Phone: 1800 111 885
Surf Coast Shire
Surf Coast Sport & Recreation Centre Beach Road, Torquay, next to the Visitor Information Centre and Surf World Museum.
Phone: (03) 5261 4606
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.surfcoast.vic.gov.au
David Stratton is a keen hiker who hasn't allowed a diagnosis of MS to keep him from exploring beautiful natural places using a TrailRider wheelchair.