Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Albert Park Lake Masters Regatta 2019
Wednesday 1 May, 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Albert Park Lake, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Melbourne Argonauts Rowing Club, persons and vessels involved in the Albert Park Lake Masters Regatta 2019 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 of a person in the water – applies to rescue vessels
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels;
- Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels;
- Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres fixed or floating structure –applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 151.1 of Schedule 151 – 5 knot speed restriction zone on the waters of Albert Park Lake – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- The masters of vessels providing rescue services must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and gazetted waterway rules in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements, unless otherwise undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety and includes any on-water activities that may be preliminary or incidental to that operation.
- This event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of Exemption Notice 1 of the Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for Rowing Vessels to not carry or wear a personal floatation device.
- All occupants of event and rescue service vessels must wear a PFD at all times.
- The exemptions apply from 6:00am to 7:00pm on 4 May 2019 for the waters of the Albert Park Lake within the exclusion zone provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.