Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Carrum Dragon Boat Regatta
Monday 3 December, 2018
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Patterson River, upstream of the Nepean Highway Bridge to Eumemmering Creek (including the National Water Sports Centre), makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Dragon Boat Victoria Inc., persons and vessels involved in the Carrum Dragon Boat Regatta on 8 December 2018 at the National Water Sports Centre are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – applies to rescue vessels;
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels;
- Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 3 provided they do not exceed the speed of a competing dragon boat unless undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 2 and 3 provided they do not exceed 5 knots within 10 metres of the waters’ edge.
- Occupants of all vessels involved with the event, including rescue vessels, must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- The above exemptions apply from 9:00am to 5:00pm on 8 December 2018, to persons and vessels participating in the Carrum Dragon Boat Regatta on the waters of the National Water Sports Centre, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA