Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Life Saving Victoria IRB
Thursday 18 April, 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Life Saving Victoria IRB calendar event on 28 April 2019 (and for a back-up event location on 12 May 2019 if required), on the waters adjacent to Mordialloc Life Saving Club are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels;
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels;
- Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 1.2.9(b) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at Mordialloc – applies to competing vessels and rescue vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- The masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 3 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- The masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 3 for the duration of each event.
- The masters of competing vessels and rescue vessels are only exempt from item 4 for the duration of each event day.
- Occupants of all vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event come within 50 metres of the exclusion zone, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area.
- The above exemptions apply from 6:30am to 6:00pm on 28 April 2019 (and for a back-up event location on 12 May 2019 if required), to operators of vessels associated with the events as noted on a list maintained by LSV within the exclusion zone waters adjacent to Mordialloc Life Saving Club, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 18 April 2019