Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - University of Melbourne Inter-Collegiate Regatta
Wednesday 1 May, 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by the University of Melbourne, persons and vessels involved in the University of Melbourne Inter-Collegiate Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water.
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel.
- Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge.
- Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Yarra River.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- Regulation 96(6) – vessels must carry a personal floatation device for all persons onboard.
- Regulation 100(3) – person must wear a personal floatation device (of type specified) at all times when vessel is underway on inland waters.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- The occupants and masters of rowing vessels are exempt from items 2 to 7 for the duration of the event.
- The masters of participating powered vessels must ensure they comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and gazetted waterway rules in respect to minimum speed and distances requirements and are only exempt from items 1 to 5 if undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- Occupants of powered vessels must wear a PFD at all times during the event.
- These exemptions apply between 6.00 am and 11.30 am on Saturday 4 May 2019 to vessels participating in the University of Melbourne Inter-Collegiate Regatta only.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and Safety Management Plan are adhered to.