Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Williamstown Open Water Challenge and Victorian Open Water Swimming Championship
Monday 7 January, 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Williamstown Swimming & Lifesaving Club, persons and rescue vessels involved in the Williamstown Open Water (WOW) Challenge and Victorian Open Water Swimming Championship on the waters off Williamstown Beach are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
- Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge;
- Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp except in an access lane.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010
- Clause 1.5.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction zone within 200 metres of the waters’ edge at Williamstown Beach.
- Clause 1.5.9(b) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels at Williamstown Beach.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- The above exemptions apply from 5:00am to 2:00pm on 9 February 2019 to persons and vessels participating in the Williamstown Open Water (WOW) Challenge and Victorian Open Water Swimming Championship, provided the stated safety controls and undertaking detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 7 January 2019