Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Winter Sculling Series 2019
Tuesday 4 June, 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne, the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherds Bridge and Albert Park Lake, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by the Victorian Sculling Association, persons and vessels involved in the Winter Sculling Series 2019 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water.
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel.
- Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge.
- Clause 3(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Yarra River.
- Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Maribyrnong River.
- Clause 151.1 of Schedule 151 – 5 knot speed restriction for powered vessels on Albert Park Lake.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- Regulation 96(6) – requirements to carry PFDs for everyone on board.
- Regulation 100(3) – requirements for all onboard to wear a PFD.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- The masters of rescue vessels are exempt from 1 to 7 in the above list only if undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety. Any vessels that are designated rescue vessels must be fitted with propeller guards, in order to minimise the risk of propeller strike injury to people in the water. Those not designated as rescue vessels that are required to assist with rescue in an emergency must adhere to the Safety Management Plan and turn their engine off before bringing a person on board.
- All occupants of powered vessels involved in the events must wear a PFD at all times.
- Competing scullers are only exempt from 8 and 9 above for the duration of the event.
- The exemptions apply only from 8:00 am to 11:30 am on the dates and locations specified in Table 1 provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the event application, the Sculling Victoria Safety Management Plan and associated documentation must be adhered to.
- Certain Victorian Sculling Association Inc. powered vessels have been approved by Parks Victoria to operate on the waters of Albert Park Lake as per Clause 151.2(a) of Schedule 151 of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988.
Table 1- Winter Sculling Series 2019 Schedule
Albert Park Grand Prix
Sat 8 June
Albert Park Lake (exclusion zone)
The “John Whiting” Round the Island race
Sat 15 June
Yarra River (exclusion zone)
Handicap Series Round 1
Sat 22 June
Handicap Series Round 2
Sat 29 June
Handicap Series Round 3
Sat 6 July
Handicap Series Round 4
Sat 13 July
Handicap Series Round 5
Sat 20 July
Handicap Series Round 6
Sat 27 July
Head of the Maribyrnong
Sat 3 August
Scullers’ Head of the Yarra
Sat 17 August
Yarra River (exclusion zone)