Tenders and notices
Declaration of Safety Exemptions – Haileybury College
Wednesday 21 November, 2018
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Patterson River, upstream of the Nepean Highway Bridge to Eumemmering Creek (including the National Water Sports Centre), makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Haileybury College, person and vessels involved in the Junior Rowing Camps on 24 November 2018 and 23 to 24 January 2019 at the National Water Sports Centre, are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – applies to participating vessels and rescue/coach vessels;
- Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge – applies to participating vessels and rescue/coach vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue/coach vessels are only exempt from items 1 and 2 provided they do not exceed the speed of a participating rowing vessel unless undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 1 and 2 provided they do not exceed 5 knots within 10 metres of the waters’ edge.
- The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
- Occupants of powered vessels used in conjunction with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- The above exemptions apply from 8:00am to 5:00pm on 24 November 2018 and 23 to 24 January 2019, to persons and vessels participating in the Haileybury College Junior Rowing Camps on the waters of the National Water Sports Centre, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 21 November 2018