The Stony Creek Backwash marks the end of a journey for Stony Creek, which eventually terminates in the Yarra River under the soaring arches of
Stony Creek Backwash
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
- Due to the recent Footscray factory fire, Stony Creek Backwash is closed to the public until further notice. Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) and Melbourne Water are warning people to avoid coming in contact with water from Stony Creek. Find out more. at Stony Creek Backwash Friday 31 August, 2018
- Access to the Stony Creek Backwash is restricted until late December 2018, including closures to pedestrian tracks and the boardwalk, due to Melbourne Water works on the North Yarra Deviation Sewer Relining project. For more information, please call the Williamstown office on (03) 8427 2139. at Stony Creek Backwash Tuesday 17 July, 2018
The Stony Creek Backwash marks the end of a journey for Stony Creek, which eventually terminates in the Yarra River under the soaring arches of the Westgate Bridge.
From native flora and fauna to the Aboriginal Marin-bulluck clan, exploration to settlement, quarrymen to industry, Stony Creek has had many transformations. Today Stony Creek Backash emerges as a slice of history with significant environmental value.
- From the walkway you are able to see the historic Barge and Boat located in the mud of the Lagoon. The Boat and Barge was used to transport sand to local glass works.
- The old historic railway line that travelled from Altona to Yarraville.
- Commemorative plaque for the 35 men who lost their lives on October 15, 1970 in the West Gate Bridge collapse.
- You can see the footings of temporary piers used in the construction of the Bridge, and the bund in the Yarra River protecting pier 12.
- The Stony Creek Walkway extends across the breakwater to provide access to the Yarra River. It provides spectacular views of the West Gate Bridge and provides access to pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
How to get there
Access to Stony Creek Backwash is via Hyde Street, Yarraville. Melways ref. Map 41 B11.