Alpine National Park
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
- Vegetation management works are occurring on Tamboritha Road from 5 September 2018. Visitors should expect changes to speed limits and may experience some delays due to traffic management for visitor safety. Please contact 13 1963 for further information. at Alpine National Park, Thursday 6 September, 2018
- A conservation management program will be conducted in the Mt Pinnibar and Mt Feathertop sections of the Alpine National Park between 8 October and 26 October 2018. These areas will be closed to visitors during this period. Find out more at Alpine National Park, Thursday 6 September, 2018
- Large snow drifts on the Tamboritha, Moroka and Howitt Roads have made conditions only suitable for four-wheel drive vehicles. Only experienced four-wheel drivers should use these roads currently, and should also be prepared to carry and fit snow chains at the Lost Plain Day Visitor Site. at Alpine National Park, Friday 17 August, 2018
- Some roads in this park are subject to seasonal road closures. See Map 35A, Map 35B, Map 35C, Map 35D, Map 35E, Map 35F, Map 35G, Map 35H and Map 35I for locations of these closures. at Alpine National Park, Tuesday 5 June, 2018
- Macs Creek Road is closed and impassable between Dapples Creek Track and McCarthys Track due to a collapsed log bridge. at Alpine National Park, Friday 18 May, 2018
- Razor Track in the West Buffalo Valley (north of The Viking) remains closed due to poor track conditions. Not to be confused with the Razorback Track to Mount Feathertop. at Alpine National Park, Thursday 17 May, 2018
- A steep section of Tom Groggin Track south of Tom Groggin Station has deteriorated and should only be driven by experienced drivers in well equipped vehicles with good tyres. Particular care should be taken in wet conditions. at Alpine National Park, Monday 26 March, 2018
- Visitors are advised to expect delays on Brocks Road, from the Howqua River at Sheepyard Flat through to 8 Mile Gap, due to construction work. The works will not be occurring over Easter, and will resume after the Easter holiday period. at Alpine National Park, Monday 19 March, 2018
- The section of Bluff Track between Bluff Hut and Lovick’s Hut and from Lovick’s Hut to the King Billy junction is in very poor condition and not suitable for 4WD vehicles towing trailers. Alternative access to Lovick’s Hut is via Cairn Creek Track off Brocks Road. at Alpine National Park, Tuesday 13 June, 2017
- The section of Armstrong Track in the Deddick Valley from Bull Flat to Fry's Access is closed until further notice due to storm damage. at Car touring, Tuesday 13 June, 2017
- Established:April 1979
The Alpine National Park stretches from central Gippsland all the way to the New South Wales border where it adjoins Kosciuszko National Park. Within the park are some of Australia’s most stunning alpine landscapes, including mountain peaks, escarpments and grassy high plains.
There are plenty of opportunities for bushwalking, from hikes to plunging waterfalls or the summits of Victoria’s highest peaks – Mount Feathertop, Mount Bogong and Mount Howitt – to the network of tracks among the Snow Gums, summer wildflowers and historic mountain huts of the Bogong High Plains.
Other activities include cross-country skiing (with downhill skiing at adjoining resorts), camping, canoeing, cycling, four-wheel driving and horse riding in the warmer seasons.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, the Bidawal, Dhudhuroa, Gunaikurnai, Jaithmathang, Taungurong and Nindi-Ngudjam Ngarigu Monero identify the Alpine National Park as their Traditional Country.
There are no upcoming events at this location.See What's On elsewhere. List an event Plan an event
Popular things to do
Camping The Alpine National Park offers some of the most authentic and scenic bush camping opportunities in Victoria. Camping in the…
Bluff Hut There are basic facilities for car-based campers at Bluff Hut. There is a walk to the Bluff from Bluff Hut.…
Falls to Hotham Alpine Crossing One of Victoria’s icon walks, the 37km Falls-Hotham Alpine Crossing (FHAC) is a 3 day/2 night walk through the Alpine…