Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Churchill National Park
The area that is now the park was part of the lands of the Bunurong Aboriginal people. Today members of the Wurundjeri community of Melbourne are involved in park management and recovering Aboriginal heritage.
Following the establishment of Melbourne in 1835, the park became the police corps headquarters for the Native Police in 1837. Later it was used as grazing land for police horses, it was known for many years as the Police Paddocks.
In the 1920s urban development brought further changes. Local stone was quarried for road metal and building material, a water supply channel was dug to Dandenong and the State Electricity Commission acquired a powerline easement.