Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Croajingolong National Park
The Aboriginal people have lived in the area for thousands of years. The name of the local tribe, the Krauatungalung which are part of the Kurnai (Gunai) nation, is reflected in the name of the park. Descendants continue to live in the area and local communities maintain links with the park.
Captain Cook's first sighting of Australia's east coast in 1770 was at Point Hicks. European settlers began to arrive in the 1830s, and pastoralists had occupied most of the better land by the 1850s.
In the early 1900s two national parks were set aside around Mallacoota and Wingan Inlet, and in 1970 Captain Cook National Park was established at Point Hicks. These parks combined to form Croajingolong National Park in 1979.