Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition View all changed conditions for Maldon Historic Area
Gold was first found at Maldon in 1853, resulting in a rush of some 20,000 diggers to the alluvial gullies in the area. By the following year only 2000 remained. After the initial rush, alluvial mining continued using puddling machines powered by horse or steam, and companies were set up to mine the quartz reefs.
In the 1860s the amount of quartz reef gold produced at Maldon almost rivalled Bendigo, Victoria's richest quartz mining field, and the town grew rapidly with many shops, houses and other buildings. But this prosperity was short-lived, and from 1870 to 1900 Maldon remained the poor cousin to Bendigo. As gold production declined, the mines closed and the population dwindled.
The last mine, the North British, closed in 1926. Maldon grew and changed little through the 20th century and this preserved the historic buildings and features that remain today.
0 visitor ratings
North British Mine Aluvial gold was discovered in the district by Captain John Mechosk, a German prospector, in 1853. Three years later, with the opening up of quartz reefs containing some of the…