River Murray Reserve
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
- Due to flooding, the following tracks are closed until further notice: Gulf Track, McDonalds Track, Shortcut Track, Forcing Yards Track (part), Black Swamp Track, Bunyip Track, Gowers Track, Long Plain Track, Four Mile Track, Camp Oven Track, Eddys Track, Grinters Ridge Track, Dougs Crossing Track, Hughes Track, Agistment Boundary Track, Darlows Track, Bourke Street, Tongalong Track, Mannions Track, Chinamans Garden Track, Unnamed Track 1, War Plain Track (from Sand Ridge Track to Rat Castle Creek), Newmans Track, Centre Track, Suttons Track, Sharps Plain Track, and River Road. On Barmah Island, all tracks between Broken Creek and the downstream junction of Barmah Creek and River are closed. Access is reviewed regularly and Parks Victoria will open closed areas as soon as possible. at River Murray Reserve, Friday 14 December, 2018
- Wharparilla Drive/Campaspe Esplanade (Hairpin Bend) is a temporarily closed until further notice. at River Murray Reserve, Wednesday 7 February, 2018
- Corrys Track on Barmah Island (recommended as 4WD accessible) is closed until further notice due to recent heavy rain and flooding. at River Murray Reserve, Wednesday 31 January, 2018
- Campers should use caution when driving and camping within the River Murray Reserve due to recent low level flooding and storms. Some tracks will still be wet and impassable or blocked by fallen limbs and trees. Staff are currently working to clear tracks. at River Murray Reserve, Friday 22 December, 2017
- Access to river frontage along River Road North of Swan Hill has been closed due to severe storm damage at River Murray Reserve, Friday 22 December, 2017
- A section of camping area within Wills Bend 1 Campground is closed while risk tree assessments and works can be completed. The area is fenced off for your safety, please stay clear. at River Murray Reserve, Friday 22 December, 2017
- The main Karadoc Sandbar entrance has been destroyed by flood water. Karadoc Sandbar, near Mildura, is accessible only via the upstream entrance off Johns Rd. at River Murray Reserve, Friday 15 September, 2017
The headwaters of the Murray River flow from the river's source in the Australian Alps to Corowa for around 450 river kilometres and feature varied terrain, which extends from the gently undulating farming land of the Albury District, through rugged, timbered, hill and mountain country to the alpine grasslands of the Snowy Mountains.
The Murray River then meanders in a shallow channel across the Riverine Plains through gently undulating country, becoming flatter to the west. The Golden Rivers Region stretches northward, with the river running through long stretches of natural bushland, encircling the country's largest inland island, Gunbower and spilling into countless lakes and waterways. Fishing and birdwatching are very rewarding pursuits around this area.
The reserve continues, at intervals, all the way to the Malllee.The River Murray Reserve protects natural and cultural attractions of the area along the river. Linked by the majestic beauty of the Murray River, the reserve features towering River Red Gums, tranquil riverside settings with sandy beaches, wide expanses of water and colourful red cliffs.
There are many excellent camping and picnic sites along the Murray and its sandy beaches are very popular over the summer and Easter holidays. No facilities other than occasional picnic tables and fireplaces are provided.
Avoid resting, picnics or camping under or close to trees. They may drop heavy branches at any time without warning. Find out more about how to avoid tree risks here.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria
There are no upcoming events at this location.See What's On elsewhere. List an event Plan an event
Popular things to do
Echuca - Torrumbarry Visitation to the Murray River Reserve between Echuca to Torrumbarry has increased over the prolonged drought period and during major…
Wills Bend There are designated camping areas at Wills Bend near Echuca with toilets provided.