Wyperfeld National Park
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
- Due to conservation programs parts of the Wyperfeld National Park, including Wonga, Casuarina, Snowdrift and Remote campgrounds will be closed from sunset to sunrise on week days from Monday 14 January to Friday 25 January 2019. These areas are open to the public during daylight hours and weekends. Closure signs will be in place on all main entry points into the closed sections of the park. at Wyperfeld National Park, Tuesday 8 January, 2019
Located in the flat, semi-arid north-western corner of Victoria, Wyperfeld is one of Australia's most fascinating national parks.
The central feature of this huge park is a chain of lake beds connected by Outlet Creek, the northern extension of the Wimmera River. The lakes only fill when the Wimmera River over-supplies Lake Hindmarsh to the south of Lake Albacutya. When it rains the semi-arid landscape is transformed by tiny desert plants that sprout from long-dormant seeds, carpeting the ground with clusters of flowers.
How to get there
Wyperfeld National Park is 450kms north‐west of Melbourne and may be reached:
- via the Western Highway at Dimboola through Rainbow to southern Wyperfeld
- via the Sunraysia Highway at Speed through Patchewollock to Pine Plains
- via Hopetoun on the Henty Highway
- via Underbool on the Mallee Highway.
A sealed road provides access from Rainbow or Hopetoun to Wonga Camping area in the south. Casuarina and Snowdrift camping areas in the north of the park are accessible from Patchewollock by two wheel drive. If coming from Underbool along Gunners Track or Wonga, four wheel drive is required.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria
There are no upcoming events at this location.See What's On elsewhere. List an event Plan an event
Popular things to do
Remote Camp Access Access is by hike-in walkers only. This camping area is 20km from the Wonga Camping Area. Bookings No booking,…
Round Swamp The camping area is set beside a four wheel drive track and access is by four wheel drive only.AccessAssess is…
Nature walks Discovery Walk 2 hours, 4 km (return) Start at the Wonga Campground, eastern toilet block and follow the 'lifting the…