Permit information for events, filming, and photography
Parks Victoria manages some of Victoria’s most spectacular public spaces including National Parks, State Parks, Crown Land Reserves, Port Phillip and Western Port, Yarra and Maribyrnong Rivers and a variety of Metropolitan Parks.
Victoria's parks, reserves, and waterways can provide the perfect location for your next event, from school sports, private weddings to major events like the Melbourne Marathon and music festivals. Please see our park locator map for further information on the Parks Victoria estate.
Our parks and waterways are governed by sets of specific rules which at times require permits to undertake activities, please read the below information to find out more.
Acknowledging traditional owners
Aboriginal people, through their rich culture, have been connected to the land and sea, for tens of thousands of years. Parks Victoria respectfully acknowledges Aboriginal Traditional Owners, their cultures and knowledge and their continuing connection to and cultural obligations to care for their Country.
Parks Victoria is proud of the strong relationship it has with Traditional Owners and encourages all event organisers to undertake an acknowledgment of country. For more information on the protocols for recognising Traditional Owners please visit The Office of Aboriginal Affairs Victoria.
- Albert Park major event guidelines (PDF)
- Werribee Park major event guidelines (PDF)
- Parks and Reserves event application guidelines (includes wedding guidelines)
- Bays and Waterways event application guidelines
- Filming and Photography application guidelines
Wedding ceremonies or wedding filming and photography
- Werribee Park - Wedding Ceremony and Wedding Filming and Photography application (MSWord)
- Werribee Park - Event zones map
- Werribee Park - Overview map
- Werribee Park - Garden protection & access map
- Werribee Park - Potable water services map
- Werribee Park - Park specific contractor safety booklet
- Parks Victoria - contractor safety handbook
Dandenong Ranges Gardens
Please email your enquiry to GardensWeddingsBookings@parks.vic.gov.au or call (03) 8427 2087. This includes the following gardens:
- Dandenong Ranges Botanic Garden
- Alfred Nicholas Memorial Gardens
- George Tindale Memorial Gardens
- Pirianda Gardens
- RJ Hamer Arboretum
All other Parks Victoria sites
To ensure that events are suitably covered, the standard conditions in Parks Victoria permits require that a permittee maintains the following insurance throughout the permit period:
- Public Liability Insurance for no less than $20 million; and
- Where the permittee has engaged employees or contractors, a worker’s compensation and employer’s liability insurance policy.
Evidence of Public Liability insurance must be provided via a Certificate of Currency (CoC) that lists Parks Victoria as an interested party. See the Certificate of Currency (CoC) example.
Application processing timeframes
- Filming and photography – 5 full business days
- Filming and photography with drones – 10 full business days
- Parks and Reserves event – 8 weeks
- Bays and Waterways event – 12 weeks
Major events are only accepted during the Expression of Interest and Call for Date programs. Dates and times will be advertised when open.
Permit fees apply to all event permits. Costs incurred by Parks Victoria in the management of the event will be passed on to the event organiser. See the ‘event fee schedule’ and the ‘fees and charges schedule’ on the Fees and charges page.
For more information contact Parks Victoria’s information centre on 13 19 63.