You are here

Bays and waterways

A number of government departments and agencies share responsibility for our bays, rivers and ports.

We are the local port manager of Port Phillip, Western Port and Port Campbell and are responsible for:

  • Making sure port operations are safe, efficient and effective
  • Managing port infrastructure (e.g. piers, jetties, navigational aids, moorings and berths)
  • Preparing and implementing Safety and Environment Management Plans.

Any works within these local ports (e.g. marina, boat or jetty construction) must be authorised by Parks Victoria.

How to apply for a works permit. (PDF, 424KB)

We manage the following waterways:

  • the designated ports of Port Phillip, Western Port and Port Campbell
  • the Yarra, Maribyrnong and Patterson rivers
  • Lake Moodemere, Albert Park Lake and ex-HMAS Canberra Reserve.

In these areas we are responsible for managing and controlling vessel activities and maintaining navigation aids and signs.

Port Phillip Western Port and Port Campbell Safety and Environment Management Plan (PDF, 3.8 MB)

Local Ports Update

Keep abreast of the latest news and information about the Port Phillip, Western Port and Port Campbell local ports.

Share this newsletter with your members and stakeholders and help raise water and boating safety awareness.

Parks Victoria Local Ports Update – Edition 3 December 2018

Other agencies' responsibilities

Fisheries Victoria

  • Aquaculture, recreational and commercial fisheries management and licensing
  • Illegal fishing activity

Biosecurity Victoria

  • Aquatic pests and diseases

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

  • Illegal clearing of foreshore vegetation
  • Harassment or cruelty to wildlife

Environmental Protection Agency

  • Reporting fish deaths
  • Litter from a car
  • Marine pollution incident
  • Pollution
  • Smoky vehicle or vessel

Water Police

  • Marine incidents or emergencies
  • Harassment or cruelty to wildlife
  • Assistance for vessel break downs

Vic Roads

  • Recreational boat operator licences
  • Recreational boat registrations