New playscape at Brimbank Park opens doors to a world of fun and discovery for kids
Thursday 13 February, 2014
The innovative playscape at Brimbank Park in Keilor East is a sanctuary for creative play that will inspire children of all abilities to connect with nature and have fun outdoors. Children and their families will love exploring the paths with lots to discover along the way, including beautiful sculptures of native animals and hidey holes.
The playscape is decorated with colourful artworks by the local community and highlights the area’s rich cultural and natural heritage.
- A build-your-own cubby structure
- A Maze with that includes information about the native flora and fauna; Aboriginal Dreamtime stories; the Maribyrnong River and European and Asian influences on the land.
- Sculptures including a platypus and a giant Bunjil nest upon a tree trunk that children can climb. Bunjil, the eagle and Creator, is a significant part of Dreamtime stories.
- Colourful artworks including mosaics and a map created by local school children
- Discovery art elements such as ‘find the lizard’
- Spinning equipment
- Giant swing
- Sand pit
- The playscape has been designed to be suitable for children of all abilities.
Design and construction
A nationally recognised team comprising Ric McConaghy Pty Ltd in partnership with ACLA Consultants, with community input and Warrandale Industries, the construction consultants.
The design team worked closely with local Aboriginal Elders to ensure the rich Aboriginal cultural heritage is reflected in stories and artworks throughout the playscape.
Local school students from Keilor Primary School have attended workshops to create artworks for the playscape.
Other facilities at Brimbank Park
- The Leaping Lizard Café is open during park hours on weekends 8:30am to 5:00pm and from Wednesday through to Friday during park hours.
- Toilets are available at the café.
Parks Victoria, Variety - the Children’s Charity - and the People and Parks Foundation, with support from the John T Reid Charitable Trusts.
Thursday 23 April, 2015
Parks Victoria is using aerial support to help with the upgrade of the popular Sundial and Lakeview lookouts in the…
Monday 20 April, 2015
Work is beginning this week on a range of visitor facility improvements at Scotts Beach in Cobram Regional Park to…
Thursday 16 April, 2015
Commemorations to mark the centenary of Anzac Day will take place near Maldon on the evening of 24 April 2015.…
Tuesday 14 April, 2015
2015 Premier's Active April has begun! It's not too late to get started with Active April and enjoy great incentives…
Tuesday 14 April, 2015
A Victoria Police initiative to support young people in Melbourne’s west saw participants involved in the renovation of the Parterre…
Monday 13 April, 2015
“It is hard to express how good it is for us to have the opportunity to experience such a beautiful…