New playscape at Brimbank Park opens doors to a world of fun and discovery for kids
Thursday 13 February, 2014
The innovative playscape at Brimbank Park in Keilor East is a sanctuary for creative play that will inspire children of all abilities to connect with nature and have fun outdoors. Children and their families will love exploring the paths with lots to discover along the way, including beautiful sculptures of native animals and hidey holes.
The playscape is decorated with colourful artworks by the local community and highlights the area’s rich cultural and natural heritage.
- A build-your-own cubby structure
- A Maze with that includes information about the native flora and fauna; Aboriginal Dreamtime stories; the Maribyrnong River and European and Asian influences on the land.
- Sculptures including a platypus and a giant Bunjil nest upon a tree trunk that children can climb. Bunjil, the eagle and Creator, is a significant part of Dreamtime stories.
- Colourful artworks including mosaics and a map created by local school children
- Discovery art elements such as ‘find the lizard’
- Spinning equipment
- Giant swing
- Sand pit
- The playscape has been designed to be suitable for children of all abilities.
Design and construction
A nationally recognised team comprising Ric McConaghy Pty Ltd in partnership with ACLA Consultants, with community input and Warrandale Industries, the construction consultants.
The design team worked closely with local Aboriginal Elders to ensure the rich Aboriginal cultural heritage is reflected in stories and artworks throughout the playscape.
Local school students from Keilor Primary School have attended workshops to create artworks for the playscape.
Other facilities at Brimbank Park
- The Leaping Lizard Café is open during park hours on weekends 8:30am to 5:00pm and from Wednesday through to Friday during park hours.
- Toilets are available at the café.
Parks Victoria, Variety - the Children’s Charity - and the People and Parks Foundation, with support from the John T Reid Charitable Trusts.
0437 129 031
Parks Victoria media centre
Tuesday 24 May, 2016
Maroondah Reservoir Park is home to a brand new friends group after a group of young volunteers got inspired during…
Monday 23 May, 2016
The access bridge at Cobrawonga Island in the Proposed Murray River Park has been closed in the interests of public…
Thursday 19 May, 2016
Parks Victoria has successfully prosecuted a Traralgon man in the Sale Magistrates Court for an incident of possessing a firearm…
Thursday 19 May, 2016
A Heyfield man has been fined for dumping rubbish in the Glenmaggie Nature Conservation Reserve, between Heyfield and Seaton, earlier…
Tuesday 17 May, 2016
Parks Victoria says the designated domestic firewood collection area at Piambi - Dead River Track near Robinvale will close at…
Monday 9 May, 2016
Parks Victoria is urging residents and visitors to protect their local heritage as water levels in Lake Colac and surrounding…