New playscape at Brimbank Park opens doors to a world of fun and discovery for kids
Thursday 13 February, 2014
The innovative playscape at Brimbank Park in Keilor East is a sanctuary for creative play that will inspire children of all abilities to connect with nature and have fun outdoors. Children and their families will love exploring the paths with lots to discover along the way, including beautiful sculptures of native animals and hidey holes.
The playscape is decorated with colourful artworks by the local community and highlights the area’s rich cultural and natural heritage.
- A build-your-own cubby structure
- A Maze with that includes information about the native flora and fauna; Aboriginal Dreamtime stories; the Maribyrnong River and European and Asian influences on the land.
- Sculptures including a platypus and a giant Bunjil nest upon a tree trunk that children can climb. Bunjil, the eagle and Creator, is a significant part of Dreamtime stories.
- Colourful artworks including mosaics and a map created by local school children
- Discovery art elements such as ‘find the lizard’
- Spinning equipment
- Giant swing
- Sand pit
- The playscape has been designed to be suitable for children of all abilities.
Design and construction
A nationally recognised team comprising Ric McConaghy Pty Ltd in partnership with ACLA Consultants, with community input and Warrandale Industries, the construction consultants.
The design team worked closely with local Aboriginal Elders to ensure the rich Aboriginal cultural heritage is reflected in stories and artworks throughout the playscape.
Local school students from Keilor Primary School have attended workshops to create artworks for the playscape.
Other facilities at Brimbank Park
- The Leaping Lizard Café is open during park hours on weekends 8:30am to 5:00pm and from Wednesday through to Friday during park hours.
- Toilets are available at the café.
Parks Victoria, Variety - the Children’s Charity - and the People and Parks Foundation, with support from the John T Reid Charitable Trusts.
25 Oct 2014 8:00am-9:00am
parkrun is free, weekly, 5km timed run that is open to everyone - walkers, runners, families and dogs are all welcome! Westerfolds parkrun occurs every Saturday morning. We're based near the main carpark off the Fitzsimons Lane entrance, and the course is run entirely on sealed paths within the park.
25 Oct 2014 9:00am - 26 Oct 2014 4:00pm
This year’s ARS National Conference focuses on the pressing topic of Rhododendron conservation in this time of steeply accelerating forest loss, climate change and human population.
25 Oct 2014 12:30pm-1:30pm
A walk through the ex koala reserve identifying and recording birds around us To celebrate Bird Week 2014, join a Parks Victoria ranger on a free guided bird watching walk through Mount Alexander Regional Park. The ranger will take you through the ex koala reserve to help identify and record…
26 Oct 2014 9:30am-10:30am
To celebrate Bird Week 2014, join a Parks Victoria ranger on a free guided bird watching walk through Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park. The ranger will guide you along the Loddon River to identify and record the park's bird species. All experience levels and ages are welcome – from novice…