New playscape at Brimbank Park opens doors to a world of fun and discovery for kids
Thursday 13 February, 2014
The innovative playscape at Brimbank Park in Keilor East is a sanctuary for creative play that will inspire children of all abilities to connect with nature and have fun outdoors. Children and their families will love exploring the paths with lots to discover along the way, including beautiful sculptures of native animals and hidey holes.
The playscape is decorated with colourful artworks by the local community and highlights the area’s rich cultural and natural heritage.
- A build-your-own cubby structure
- A Maze with that includes information about the native flora and fauna; Aboriginal Dreamtime stories; the Maribyrnong River and European and Asian influences on the land.
- Sculptures including a platypus and a giant Bunjil nest upon a tree trunk that children can climb. Bunjil, the eagle and Creator, is a significant part of Dreamtime stories.
- Colourful artworks including mosaics and a map created by local school children
- Discovery art elements such as ‘find the lizard’
- Spinning equipment
- Giant swing
- Sand pit
- The playscape has been designed to be suitable for children of all abilities.
Design and construction
A nationally recognised team comprising Ric McConaghy Pty Ltd in partnership with ACLA Consultants, with community input and Warrandale Industries, the construction consultants.
The design team worked closely with local Aboriginal Elders to ensure the rich Aboriginal cultural heritage is reflected in stories and artworks throughout the playscape.
Local school students from Keilor Primary School have attended workshops to create artworks for the playscape.
Other facilities at Brimbank Park
- The Leaping Lizard Café is open during park hours on weekends 8:30am to 5:00pm and from Wednesday through to Friday during park hours.
- Toilets are available at the café.
Parks Victoria, Variety - the Children’s Charity - and the People and Parks Foundation, with support from the John T Reid Charitable Trusts.
21 Sep 2014 9:00am-11:00am
General maintenance of the reserve. Morning tea provided. Working bees are held on Sundays at Glen Nayook Reserve at the end of Paynter Road, Neerim Junction. GPS location S 327 55 623 - E 145 56 632.
21 Sep 2014 11:00am-3:00pm
Bring family and friends along to discover you backyard! Bring a picnic! Get involved in the kids activites, planting and mulching, or take a guided walk and bike ride around the park.
22 Sep 2014 12:00am - 5 Oct 2014 12:00am
Drop in and pick up your explorer pack from the Mansion with activity sheets, magnifying glass and pencil. Complete the activities and return the pack to collect some Junior Ranger goodies. Activities are available every day of the school holidays.
22 Sep 2014 12:00am - 3 Oct 2014 12:00am
Parks Victoria’s Discovery program is designed to encourage kids and adults to explore Victoria’s parks with a ranger. Whether it’s discovering mini beasts through a microscope, learning about creatures’ tracks and traces and their habitats, or discovering the fascinating life beneath the sea during a rock pool ramble, kids will…