You are hereHome > About > Tenders and notices > Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - Head of the Yarra Rowing Regatta 2017
Tenders and notices
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - Head of the Yarra Rowing Regatta 2017
Friday 3 November, 2017
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010.
For the purpose of conducting the Head of the Yarra rowing regatta on 25 November 2017 between 9:30am to 4:30pm, competing and rescue vessels are exempt from:
- Five knots within 50 metres of another vessel – clause 2(c) (only when within 50 metres of another vessel involved in the event);
- Five knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge – clause 3(a);
- Five knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure – clause 3(b);
- Five knot speed restriction on the Yarra River upstream of port waters – clause 3.1;
- Vessels proposing to berth at the boathouses on the South Bank of the Yarra River and located immediately upstream of the Princes Bridge must approach the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern arch of the Princes Bridge – clause 3.4(a);
- Prohibition of personal water craft on the Yarra River upstream of port waters – clause 3.3(b) (this exemption applies to Life Saving Victoria personal water craft only); and
Participating vessels when undertaking rescue duties only:
- Five knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – clause 2(a).
- This event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for Rowing Vessels, to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
- Occupants of powered vessels used in conjunction with the event must be wearing a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- The masters of vessels providing rescue services must comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 and are only exempt from items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- The exemptions apply from 9.30am to 4.30pm on Saturday 25 November 2017 for the waters of the Yarra River between a diagonal line from the downstream edge of the VRA landing to the upstream edge of Federation Wharf and the upstream edge of Victoria Street Bridge, provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 3 November 2017