Tenders and notices
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Life Saving Victoria - Junior Carnival 4
Thursday 18 January, 2018
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Ports of Port Phillip and Western Port, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that masters of Life Saving Victoria rescue vessels associated with the Life Saving Victoria Junior Carnival 4 event on Port Phillip Bay at Frankston on 27 January 2018 between 8:30 am to 4:00 pm are exempt as follows:
Masters of Life Saving Victoria rescue vessels during the event only
- The requirement to operate a vessel at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – Clause 2(a) of State Rules of the Notice;
- The requirement to operate a vessel at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – Clause 2(c) of State Rules of the Notice;
- The requirement to operate a vessel at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge – Clause 4(a) of State Rules of the Notice; and
- The vessel prohibited area between Wells St and Davey St, Frankston, as bounded by yellow special mark piles and onshore signage – Clause 1.2.9(j) of Schedule 1 of the Notice.
- The above exemptions 1, 2 and 3 will be automatically suspended for any periods where swimmers or vessels not associated with the event approach within 50 metres of any vessel or swimmer involved in the event.
- The above exemptions only apply whilst the prevailing surf conditions at the event location have been assessed as having a Surf Hazard Rating (SHR) of a value no greater than 12. For conditions assessed as having a SHR of a value of 13 or more, the exemption only applies on the condition that there are 2 IRBs operating to follow the surf boats the entire length of the course, each IRB is equipped with appropriate rescue tubes, Life Saving Victoria monitors the surf boat crew during the events, and Life Saving Victoria report on the Surf Hazard Rating for each event.
- The above exemptions apply for the times, dates and locations of Life Saving Victoria - Junior Carnival 4 as detailed on the Parks Victoria web site: parkweb.vic.gov.au provided that the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Application for Boating Activity Exemptions and Exclusion Zones and associated documents, are adhered to.
- Life Saving Victoria have standing exemptions from the carriage of safety equipment and wearing of PFDs with conditions specified in Clause 5 of Exemption Notice 1 of the Notice under the Act.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA