Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Braeside Park
The Bunurong people lived for many thousands of years in and around the area now called Braeside Park. Six Aboriginal scar trees can be found in the park.
The first European family to settle here were the Keys, hence Keysborough. They ran cattle from 1844 to 1909. Their original homestead has been incorporated into the Southern Golf Club's club house. Later, when the family sold the property, the land was developed for racehorse training and at one time was claimed to be the largest complex of its type in Australia.
A sewage treatment plant, built in 1940, ran until 1980. When it closed, the park was developed in the area.