Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Coolart Historic Area
The original inhabitants of Coolart were the Bunurong Aboriginal people. The name ‘Coolart’ is derived from the word "Colourt" or "Callert" – the Aboriginal name for nearby Sandy Point.
In 1895, Frederick Sheppard Grimwade bought the estate and built the imposing homestead as the family's country retreat. Between 1907 and 1937 Coolart was held at different times by Thomas Armstrong, James Balmain and John Sylvester Feehan.
The late Tom Luxton purchased the property in 1937. He immediately had it declared a sanctuary for native wildlife and embarked upon a program of habitat development. The 87 hectare nucleus of the Coolart area was purchased by the Victorian State Government in 1977.