Culture and heritage
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Kara Kara National Park
Little is known about Aboriginal occupation of the park. However, Aboriginal sites found in the park include scarred trees, mounds and stone artefact scatters.
In the 1840s European squatters took up land in the area. Stock grazing continued in some areas until 1995 and sheepyards built from bush timbers remain in some parts of the park.
Alluvial and shallow reef mining for gold commenced during the 1860's and a number of significant sites can be found around the park.
The park has also been an important source of timber. Logs were supplied to local timber mills, and used for fence posts, palings and firewood. Harvested species include yellow gum, grey box and red ironbark.
The Teddington Reservoirs were constructed to supply water to the town of St Arnaud, with No. 1 completed in 1900 and No. 2 in 1929. The reservoir system was downgraded in 1947 and they now only supply nearby Stuart Mill. Many structures remain, including catch drains, weirs and concrete lining of part of Strathfillan Creek.
0 visitor ratings