Most of the northern part of Wilsons Promontory is classified as a wilderness zone. In order to preserve the area’s natural values there are few
You are hereHome > Find > Park locator map > Wilsons Promontory National Park > Things to do > Northern overnight hikes
Northern Prom overnight hikes
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-urla3411076-22a4-766c-e040-a8c0ac642022
Change of conditions
- No change of conditions apply
Most of the northern part of Wilsons Promontory is classified as a wilderness zone. In order to preserve the area’s natural values there are few facilities. If you don't want to stay overnight, there are short walks at Vereker Outlook, Prom Wildlife Walk, Big Drift and Millers Landing.
There are five overnight hikers campsites on the northern wilderness:
- Barry Creek
- Lower Barry Creek
- Five Mile Beach
- Tin Mine Cove
- Johnny Souey Cove
These locations provide only a campsite with no facilities. A true wilderness experience!
The following conditions apply to these areas.
- Hikers must fill out a Hiker Self Assessment Form before a hiking permit is issued. Call 13 1963 for further information.
- Some track sections are marked with flagging tape however other sections are undefined therefore hikers must be proficient in navigation with a map and compass
- Overnight camping is permitted for two consecutive nights only at each of the camp areas throughout the year
- Maximum group size at any one campsite is six
Can you find the Eastern Ground Parrot?
Parks Victoria is seeking your help in finding evidence of the Eastern Ground Parrot in the Northern Wilderness of Wilsons Promontory National Park, Nooramunga Marine and Coastal Park and Cape Liptrap Coastal Park. Read the fact file for details on how you can help.
- Wilsons Promontory National Park - Booking & permit conditions (PDF 87.6 KB)
- Wilsons Promontory National Park - Northern wilderness overnight hikes (PDF 1.1 MB)
A challenging walk, even for experienced hikers, the Prom’s remote northern wilderness rewards hikers with secluded beaches, spectacular views and abundant wildlife.
- Wilsons Promontory National Park - Northern wilderness overnight hikes (accessible version) (MS Word Document 2.0 MB)