Along with day visitor sites around Tidal River such as Squeaky Beach, Lilly Pilly Gully and Mount Oberon the southern section of the Prom hosts
You are hereHome > Find > Park locator map > Wilsons Promontory National Park > Things to do > Southern overnight hikes
Southern Prom overnight hikes
Loading maphttp://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/scripts/mapping/getlocationinfo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-photo-url http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/_design/ajax-requested-content/get-add-your-video-urla3411076-22a4-766c-e040-a8c0ac642022
Change of conditions
- The Sealers Cove walking track has been storm affected and a section of the boardwalk has been damaged by a fallen tree. Hikers are requested to take extra care when negotiating this damaged section.
at Southern Prom overnight hikes
Thursday 2 June, 2016 |
Along with day visitor sites around Tidal River such as Squeaky Beach, Lilly Pilly Gully and Mount Oberon the southern section of the Prom hosts an array of overnight hikes with various routes and locations depending on time, enthusiasm and fitness levels of hikers.
The following sites are accessible when embarking upon the overnight hike track from Tidal River or Telegraph Saddle Carpark:
- Sealers Cove
- Refuge Cove
- Little Waterloo Bay
- Roaring Meg
- Halfway Hut
- Oberon Bay - (this location is also accessible as a day walk)
- Wilsons Promontory Lightstation (accommodation only)
A maximum two night consecutive stay applies at all overnight hike locations.
Only basic camping facilities are available at these locations, including untreated water (Note: no water available at Oberon Bay).
Composting toilets are provided, though toilet paper is not supplied.
Overnight hiking permits
Overnight hikers must obtain a permit before commencing their walk and carry it with them at all times.
Advance booking is required. You can book online or call parks Victoria on 13 1963
After completing your hike, please return your permit to the Tidal River Visitor Centre.
Permits may also be deposited in the permit boxes located at the Five Mile car park, outside the Park Entrance Station or outside the Tidal River Visitor Centre. This system informs rangers of your safe return.
The following track completion times are intended as a guide for hikers. Completion times may vary significantly depending on an individual’s or group’s overall fitness and hiking experience.
|Southern Prom Hikes||Difficulty||Time||Distance|
|Overall Tidal River to Sealers Cove via Oberon Bay, Little Waterloo Bay and Refuge Cove||Easy to Hard||20 hours (4 - 5 nights)||60.4km|
|Overall Tidal River to Sealers Cove via Lightstation, Little Waterloo camp and Refuge Cove, return via Waterloo Track||Easy to Hard||26 hours (5 - 6 nights)||78.5km|
- Overnight camping is permitted for two consecutive nights only at each of the camp areas throughout the year
- Maximum group size at any one campsite is twelve
- All overnight hike camp areas in the southern area of the Prom have a water supply and self composting toilets. Toilet paper is not supplied
- Carry in water and/or know how to make untreated water safe for drinking at any remote location within Wilsons Promontory.
- Please carry out all your food scraps and rubbish. Do not place in toilets or bury.
- Campfires are not permitted at any time. On Total Fire Ban days camp stoves - solid, liquid or gas - are not permitted.
Refer to the Overnight Hikes park note for more information.