Donnellys Weir forms both the start and finish of the Bicentennial National Trail. A variety of walks from the picnic area cater for both casual
Donnellys Weir Picnic Area
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
- The rotunda at Donnelly's Weir is currently under inaccessible due to construction. at Donnellys Weir Picnic Area Friday 6 April, 2018
Donnellys Weir forms both the start and finish of the Bicentennial National Trail. A variety of walks from the picnic area cater for both casual and longer distance walkers.
Access to Donnellys Weir Picnic Area requires visitors to ford Donnellys Creek. Water levels are generally low but access by 4WD vehicle is recommended. Alternatively, visitors can walk the remaining 400m to the picnic area.
Donnellys Weir is open daily at the following times:
- 1 December to 31 January - 8am to 9pm.
- 1 February to end of daylight saving (first Sunday in April) - 8am to 8pm.
- End of daylight saving (first Sunday in April) to 30 April - 8am to 6pm.
- 1 May to 31 August - 8am to 5pm.
- 1 September to start of daylight saving (first Sunday in October) - 8am to 6pm.
- Start of daylight saving (first Sunday in October) to 30 November - 8am to 8pm.
Distance: 8 km
Time: Approximately 3.5 hours, one way
This walk is for experienced bushwalkers only and is very steep. Beginning on Road 17 just past Echo Tunnel, the track climbs the slopes of Mt Monda through ancient fern gullies and tall, wet Mountain Ash forest. From Road 9 Mt Monda return to
Donnellys Weir via Condons Track, or follow the sign posts on Road 9 to Mt St Leonard. The entire circuit from Donnellys Weir to Mt Monda, Mt St Leonard and back to the weir is 21km and takes seven to eight hours.
Mt St Leonard Track
Time: Approximately 3 hours - one way
Incorporating part of the Bicentennial National Trail, this track passes through mixed eucalypt forest and offers magnificent views across the Yarra Valley from the summit of Mt St Leonard.