You are here

Research Permits

What research is supported by Parks Victoria?

Parks Victoria supports universities, other research institutions and individuals who wish to carry out research in parks, reserves, waterways, ports and piers.

Defining research as carrying out a systematic investigation into any aspect of Parks Victoria’s business, we encourage research identified as important by us in published strategies and plans and support research projects if they add to scientific knowledge and:

  • Help to conserve and protect natural and cultural features and processes of parks.
  • Directly benefit park planning and management.
  • Cannot be undertaken outside a park.

What kind of research permit do I need?

A Parks Victoria research permit is required for all research conducted on Parks Victoria managed estate.

Many research activities require additional permits that must be obtained before applying for a Parks Victoria research permit. A list of activities that require additional permits is outlined in the table below.

Applications for these activity-specific permits should be submitted directly to the relevant government department, agency or authority.

Proposed activityActContact
  • Growing, breeding or selling fish or bait commercially
  • Obtaining prohibited/out of season fish
  • Carrying out an activity in a fishery
  • Taking fish for any reason
Fisheries Act 1995 Victorian Fisheries Authority
  • Taking protected flora specimens, samples, seed or propagation material.
  • Researching in protected communities.
  • Capturing, handling, releasing, marking or displaying of any fish, or invertebrates listed under the Act.
Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988 Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Capturing, collecting or interfering with wildlife, including:
  • Fauna surveys or live capture and release
  • Bird/bat banding (ABBBS), marking, radio tracking.
  • Tissue samples or dead specimens.

Note: Invasive procedures with wildlife require Animal Ethics Approval from the institution managing the research. Bird or bat banding requires approval from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme.

Important: Include in your application action statements and translocation plans, consistent with threatened species concerns.

Wildlife Act 1975 Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Research in a state forest Forests Act 1958 Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Research in reference areas
Note: These are areas of high conservation value with restricted access. Only projects of minimal impact on biodiversity are considered. Allow extra time for the Reference Areas Advisory Council approval.
Reference Areas Act 1978 Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
  • Removing an object for research.
  • Uncovering Aboriginal cultural heritage.
  • Researching an Aboriginal place or object.
  • Likely to harm Aboriginal cultural heritage.
  • Rehabilitating land at an Aboriginal place, including burial grounds.
Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 Aboriginal Affairs Victoria
  • Historic archaeological sites and artefacts.
  • Historic buildings, structures and precincts.
  • Gardens, trees and cemeteries.
  • Cultural landscapes.
  • Shipwrecks and relics.
  • Significant objects.
Heritage Act 1995 Heritage Victoria

Applying for a Parks Victoria research permit

To apply for a Parks Victoria research permit go to

Please ensure all activity-specific permits have been obtained before submitting your application. You will need to provide a copy of the relevant permit and any supporting documentation as part of the application process.