You are here

Event permits

Victoria's parks and waterways can provide the perfect location for your next event, from school sports or private weddings to major events like the Melbourne Marathon and music festivals. In most cases a permit will be required in order to undertake an event in a park or reserve.

As the manager of many of Victoria’s parks, reserves, ports and waterways, Parks Victoria has the delegated authority to permit events and other activities that are in contravention of regulations.

Submit a Parks and Reserves event application

Submit a Bays and Waterways event application

Expression of Interest for the provision of major events at Albert Park

Who needs a permit?

Parks across Victoria are managed under a broad framework of legislation and regulation which specify the rules relating to their management and use. Where Parks Victoria is the manager, it has the ability to permit activities which are restricted under these rules:

  • Organised sporting events or recreational activities
  • Private groups of more than 100
  • Any commercial activities including but not limited to:
    • Professional catering
    • Hired marquees, chairs or any other temporary infrastructure
    • Wedding celebrant
    • Filming and Photography
    • Advertising
    • Ticketed events
  • Community events or fundraisers
  • Weddings
  • Road closures

Who doesn’t need a permit?

If your event does not fit into one of the above categories, or for private groups of less than 100 that are fully self-sufficient with no professional catering or infrastructure.

If you are not sure whether you need a permit please complete either the Parks and Reserves event application or the Bays and Waterways event application and submit to the Statewide Events Branch for review.

Are there any fees?

Permit fees apply to all event permits. A supervision fee and bond may also be required. A late processing fee is applied to applications received with less than three weeks’ notice. 
Please note: Parks Victoria cannot guarantee a permit will be able to be issued within this timeframe.

Costs incurred by Parks Victoria in the management of the event will be passed on to the event organiser.

Fees vary depending on the scale and type of event proposed. For an accurate fee estimate please submit a detailed Parks and Reserves event application or Bays and Waterways event application.

Do I need insurance?

In order to ensure that events are suitably covered, the standard conditions in Parks Victoria permits require that a Permittee maintains the following insurance throughout the permit period:

  • Public Liability Insurance for no less than $20 million; and
  • Where the Permittee has engaged employees or contractors, a workers compensation and employers liability insurance policy.

Evidence of Public Liability Insurance must be provided via a certificate of currency that lists Parks Victoria as an interested party.

Acknowledging traditional owners

Aboriginal people, through their rich culture, have been connected to the land and sea, for tens of thousands of years. Parks Victoria respectfully acknowledges Aboriginal Traditional Owners, their cultures and knowledge and their continuing connection to and cultural obligations to care for their Country.

Parks Victoria is proud of the strong relationship it has with Traditional Owners and encourages all event organisers to undertake an acknowledgement of country. For more information on the protocols for recognising Traditional Owners please visit The Office of Aboriginal Affairs Victoria.

Healthy food choices

The Victorian Government has developed the Healthy Choices guidelines to help ensure that healthy foods and drinks are offered and promoted in places like workplaces, hospitals, recreation centers, parks and universities. Parks Victoria encourages event organisers to consider the guidelines and ensure that they are providing healthy food choices for event participants.

The guidelines classify foods and drinks as green (best choices), amber (choose carefully) and red (limit). To learn more about each classification visit Traffic Light System.

Visit the Healthy Eating Advisory Service for more information.